CSCW focuses on enhancing our understanding of the practices of cooperative work and on exploring and designing CSCW systems. The ECSCW conference is an important venue for defining and further developing the agenda for CSCW research. The conference has a longstanding interest in empirical, conceptual and theoretical contributions and has a tradition of inclusiveness. ECSCW addresses themes which include but are not limited to:
- Conceptualising practice in work and other activities, and the relationship between understanding practice and the design of computer artifacts: how can we understand work (the “W”)?
- Cooperation and its characteristics (e.g., describing the particulars of articulation work and coordination mechanisms in a given setting): how can we understand cooperative work (the “CW”)?
- Methods for investigating human practices: the nature of ethnography and the role of other innovative methods in CSCW.
- Digital and other material artefacts in cooperative settings: how can we support cooperative work in increasingly complex, networked settings (the “CS”)?
The ECSCW conferences are single-track conferences that contribute to developing an interdisciplinary ECSCW community. The conference format facilitates critical discussion across disciplinary and national borders in the field. An overview of earlier ECSCW conferences (and proceedings) is available from ecscw.org
Submitted papers documenting original, rich, and in-depth contributions to CSCW will follow a journal-level review process. Accepted submissions will be published in Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW): The Journal of Collaborative Computing and Work Practices, a journal with a high impact factor of 1.784.
For ECSCW 2018 there will be an open call with the following two cycles of submission deadlines:
First cycle of submission deadlines:
- Friday, September 1, 2017: Full Papers Submission deadline
- Friday, November 3, 2017: Notifications due to authors for Full Papers. Full papers that are given a “major revisions” or “minor revisions” verdict are invited to resubmit an improved version
Friday, December 1, 2017EXTENDED TO Friday, December 8, 2017: Resubmission deadline for Full Papers
- Friday, January 19, 2018: Final Full Papers reviews due to authors. Full Papers that now qualify for acceptance are notified. Small additional edits may be requested.
- Friday, February 2, 2018: Final Full Papers to be submitted for production.
Last cycle of submission deadlines:
Friday, November 3, 2017EXTENDED TO Friday, November 17, 2017 (5:00pm PDT): Full Papers Submission deadline Friday, January 19, 2018EXTENDED TO Friday, February 2, 2018: Notifications due to authors for Full Papers. Full papers that are given a “major revisions” or “minor revisions” verdict are invited to resubmit an improved version
- Friday, March 2, 2018: Resubmission deadline for Full Papers
- Friday, April 13, 2018: Final Full Papers reviews due to authors. Full Papers that now qualify for acceptance are notified. Small additional edits may be requested.
- Friday, April 27, 2018: Final Full Papers to be submitted for production.
Authors can submit their papers between these two deadlines. Authors are encouraged to submit sooner which will allow for more time for Revise & Resubmit phase and will generally result into a sooner publication of the accepted manuscript.
The papers with a length between 10,000 and 15,000 words + references will be submitted at the link: https://www.editorialmanager.com/cosu by selecting SI: ECSCW 2018 as article type. Paper submissions should be formatted following the CSCW Journal Instructions to Authors. Please keep in mind that, as per Journal of CSCW policy, the papers review process will be single-blind.
Papers accepted for publication in the CSCW Journal are typeset (taking the digital document as input), however authors who want to use a template for preparing their submissions may want to use this template.